Monday, February 18, 2013

Flip Flop Repurpose




I have been making this slipper pattern I bought from two girls patterns on Etsy for about 9 months now, lol! I tend to get distracted with the many projects or ideas I have in my head. I usually have to pick up and put down a project many times. Unless a project takes less then 1 hour to complete it can be put down many times in a day, this is especially so, when my little monkey is permanently attached to my hip!

The pattern was great, very detailed instructions and plenty of pictures to help with making the slippers. But, I wanted something more than slippers...I wanted shoes I could wear outside.

I wanted something that was inexpensive, durable and wouldn't look tacky. I finally settled on flip flop bottoms. I bought a few sets of flip flops after the summer which were on clearance for $5.00 at Target. Then I started on my 9 month journey.

Here's what you need to make them:

A slipper pattern
Lecia flip flops or similar type of flip flops
Nail
Hammer
Yarn
Gimp/Yarn
button
shoe glue
scissors
Needle

Here is how to make them:

  •  Crochet your slipper pattern
When I originally made the pattern I crocheted the whole slipper and then added it to the flip flop. I think with this two girls pattern (for all you triers out there) next time it would be easier to make the sole first, attach the sole to the flip flop and then finish the full slipper after. 
  • For your flip flops, cut off your flip flop straps only-leave the three plugs in the bottom (glue the plugs in so they don't fall out). Make sure on the side your foot/slipper will be that there isn't any part of the plugs that would stick your foot (cut off any excess). 
  • Hammer and nail, make holes in the flip flop (around) about 1/2 inch apart and 1/2 inch away from the edge of the shoe. 
  • Gimp/Yarn & needle, thread Gimp or yarn through holes and into the slipper sole. First and last stitch start and end in the slipper for weaving in ends.
I used matching yarn for this part but, my husband suggested gimp to use for climates that have rain and snow a lot. This way you won't have to do a rethread if the yarn breaks as gimp is more durable and waterproof.






I added my own flower pattern to the slipper.
Here is the instructions:

CH-Chain
Sc-Single crochet
Sl St-slip stitch
Dc-Double crochet

Flower 1-
Ch 2. 7 Sc in the second chain from the hook. sl st to join. Add marker pin.
2 Sc in each st around. sl st to join.
5 Dc in the next st, sl st in the next st, repeat 7 times. fasten off and weave in ends (leave 6 inches of string).

Flower 2-

Ch 2. 8 Sc in the second chain from the hook. sl st to join. Add marker pin.
3 Dc in the next st, sl st in the next st, repeat 4 times. fasten off and weave in ends (leave 6 inches of string).


Put the two crochet flower pieces on top of each other after weaving in ends. Sew button in the middle of the two pieces and attach to slipper.

Happy Crafting!
© Hooking Rainbow 02/18/2013. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this awesome idea! I have been wanting an inexpensive way to do durable soles for my slippers too. I had only come up with a thick layer of silicone on the bottom of them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there were plenty of of other ideas that were recommended to me! For example, the non-slip fabric or paint added to the bottom of the slipper. None of them would have worked for very long. Glad I could help:)

    ReplyDelete